assassin | a story

“I want him dead.”
The bearded man leaned over the table towards me, his fist planted between us. I could see the darkness in his eyes, though the light from the fire tried to flicker them back to life.
I examined his face closely before turning away and shrugging nonchalantly.
“I accept your commission.”
The twisted delight in his eyes made me shiver.
“How will it be done?”
I grinned.
“It will take some time.”
“But how?” he demanded. “I must know.”
“Poison.”
His lip curled at the word. “Good, good. Make it slow, that he may suffer all the more.”
I laughed, breaking off my amusement with a roll of my head. “You don’t understand.”
I leaned closer over the table, watching his eyes flicker a breath away from mine.
“This poison will not be consumed or inhaled.”
I could see the darkness in his eyes cloud over with confusion, and began to explain.
“You want me to kill a king. It’s simple; I suppose you could do it yourself if you had to.”
He frowned, not sure whether I had aimed that as an insult. I smiled, lacing my words.
“To kill a king, first find a weakness. This is where you will decide on your poison. In this case, I will find your king a queen. I will make her strong, make her smart, make her fierce, and make her beautiful. She will be a goddess among women. Your king cannot resist her, she will allure him, draw him close.”
I fixed him with a gaze, raking his face. “Let the poison simmer. Scrape away her love, raze his trust to the ground, shatter his heart. Then,” I breathed a laugh, feeling a thrill in my veins, “watch him choke.” 
The bearded man looked at me in surprise, his upper lip rising.
“Believe me, he will suffer. It will destroy him with a pain that nothing else could. It will leave him gasping and wretched, torn apart from within. It will be a slow venom, leaking into his bloodstream and turning his veins black.”
“Will it work?” he breathed.
 "Trust me.”
The bearded man thanked me and pressed a sack of gold into my palm; the cloth sagged over my fingers, the weight of the coins pressing it down. I watched him go, a silent scream distorting my features.
“I know.”

Comments

Popular Posts