a pep talk for the new year


Alright, I admit it: change is scary.

more often than not, a new year can have us feeling overwhelmed, terrified, or exhausted.
we don’t like change.
we don’t know how we’re going to face the new challenges in 2017.
we want to run away from all of life’s problems.

(it’s true)



2017 is right around, and we’re all freaking out. it happens to the best of us (ahem..)



but there’s a way to tackle this year with confidence


really? you ask


yes, trust me.


still not convinced? 
uh, no, don’t give me that eye roll



I CAN FEEL YOU NOT BELIEVING ME



but it’s true

1. okay, first of all you gotta forget. forget about all of last year’s issues; completely block them from your mind. got that? great.

2. now make a list of all the things you were thankful for in 2016. it doesn’t have to be long, you just need to realize that there were good things amidst all of those dark places. look at old photos, think about the good memories, remind yourself that it’s okay to be resistant to a new year. 

3. identify the lessons you’ve learned. for me, there’s been a lot of things this year that were very difficult for me. for me, one was dealing with my anxiety - but when i look back, i can see that i have learned several valuable lessons through these struggles. try to point out at least three things you learned from a tough spot. 

4. prepare yourself. some people have new year’s resolutions - if you are one of them, feel free to do so. set yourself up for success. don’t expect perfection, don’t expect 2017 to be totally struggle-free (spoiler: no such thing. sorry). make a plan or schedule for the first few weeks, or start a good habit. for me, i’ve decided to make a paper star in a certain colour every day, and collect them all in a jar. it helps to remind me that, although some days are really hard, my life isn’t terrible. then i can see the silver lining in things and have confidence in tomorrow. 

5. accept uncertainty. this is a major one for me. my anxiety gets triggered especially when i’m feeling unsure or hesitant. but if we are constantly worrying about everything happening around us, we loose the joy that those moments are giving, and we can’t experience things fully. so allow life to be full of the unknown, embrace it, and listen to the wise words of newt scamander: “my philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice.” don’t do that to yourself, it’s not worth it.




6. love life! be kind! sing! dance! enjoy what you’re doing. and remember, it’s okay to have a bad day. life isn’t always full of rainbows and sunshine. xx



God bless, and Happy New Year!

~soleil


Comments

Popular Posts