i was in an accident last night

I was in an accident last night.
That sounds crazy.
It was foggy, hard to see, and we were going pretty fast.
We were driving to our church when a stop sign suddenly loomed in front of us. Dad swerved to the next road with a jerk, and then—
Then we were in the ditch.
It was an experience that kinda makes you think, “why?”
Why did that happen?
Why was it not as bad as it could have been?
What was the purpose?
My brother’s door missed a tree by no less than five inches.
We had fence posts on either side of us, yet we had managed to miss them.
I kept replaying the image in my memory as I went to sleep. Everything seemed to go in slo-motion. I can hear my sister screaming, a thousands thoughts running through my head as we flew forward, the moment of impact [which, actually, wasn’t very impactful]. Then it was over.
It could have been so much worse.
As it was, we had one flat tire, one dent in the front of the car, and we had to climb out through the back door. We were all okay.
Not a big deal.
And it makes me think: God actually does have a purpose for my life. Maybe it was a sort of a wake-up call, maybe it was something more than that, I don’t know, but I’m here for a reason. God didn’t let me die, He didn’t give me any sort of injury. 
That’s…that’s amazing.


~soleil

Comments

Popular Posts